Sunday, April 20, 2008

Picture Day

Picture day in elementary school is always an adventure...always. It reminds me of the cartoon "Recess" when the class had to go last after every other class and long story short everyone in the class but Gus got messed up because they all sacrificed themselves so that he could finally have a real picture day.

We got plenty of picture day notice with Aly. She is still at that age when we check her backpack daily and for at least two weeks before picture day we recieved reminders almost daily. On picture day we got up early so I could get her dressed and hair curled before I left for work from that point on it was up to Brad. Getting Aly ready for school is normally quite routine and so leaving her in Brad's hands just didn't concern me at all. I don't know if it was because it was picture day or what, but apparently the morning was anything but routine. It started with her trying to improve her hair and ended with her spilling juice on her pretty pink sweater just as they were walking out the door. Brad took a deep breath counted to 10 or maybe 100 hoped for the best and headed to school where he was told her class wasn't scheduled for pitures until after lunch.










Needless to say in spite of it all we ended up with a priceless treasure, and something to tell her dates when we show them her photo album while we wait for her to finish getting ready.

Nathaniel's school pictures are a different story, always funny, and there is always a great story behind it. It really started in the second grade when they all ran home with their pictures. Justine and Michal were okay with their pictures but not overly enthusiastic, you've heard the dialogue in one context or another. "Yeah, I like them, they're okay". Nathaniel, however, came running through the door shouting "You've got to see my pictures Mom. They are the best pictures ever". From his backpack he pulled the best picture ever with eyes opened wide and focused ever so slightly to the right and the biggest cheesiest smile possible and until last year they were the best Nathaniel pictures ever.

Last year we stopped going through his backpack and trusted that he would "Tell us everything"; not alot to expect since the girls did it. He forgot to tell me that he had picture day until hours before he left for school. We had to run through the house trying to find the best clean shirt available and making it look like new. He walked out the door the perfect subject for a picture day photo lens. On the day he brought his picture home before I ever opened the envelope I asked how he felt about them. about them. "Great!" he said.


Take a look at his left knee. There is a grass stain the length of his shin. He said he had to play soccer at recess.

Then, this year I was determined that this wasn't going to happen again. Beginning in February I started asking him "Have you heard anything about pictures yet?" I asked him this about once a week. Last week I came home from work to see his class picture laying on the table. He knew what was coming because before I could even ask he started the explanation. "I forgot about picture day until just before school. I spent extra time on my hair and combed it just the way you like it. I went through my closet and I picked out this shirt because I know you like it, Dad helped me iron it so I think you are going to like it Mom." I was hesitant. Slowly I pulled the picture out of the envelope. Everything looked good, until. I will just let you see.














Take a look at the knee. I think this might be the best picture ever.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Becky - you're right! School pictures are always an adventure. Love the story about Aly getting ready, spilling on her sweater and all. And Nathaniel cracks me up! Love the hole in the knee. By spring, all my kids pants look like that! And for some reason, James's hole looks 10 times bigger in the picture.