Not really.
But there are certain things I don't like about our current technology-enabled society. Like kids who won't answer their phones, but will text you immediately no matter what they are doing. (None of my kids do this). Or drivers whose most important task is not keeping their vehicles on the road, but talking to who-knows-whom about who-knows-what (Again, none of my kids do this - I've threatened revocation of privileges often enough that they are afraid of the consequences). Or punk kids that mock those that wear wristwatches to tell the time (Duh! Your cellphone keeps time, and it's more accurate!)
I resist being connected to the world in this manner. Yes, I know I'm writing this on a blog. More about that later. I love my watch. Or rather, watches. I have five functioning watches that I cycle through: a quartz Mickey Mouse, two Fossil chronographs, a Swiss Army quartz and a Stauer Automatic. I have four additional non-functional watches that I hope to repair someday: The Seiko I got for graduating from High School, a cheap dotOne watch that I keep like a psychological Purple Heart, a Timex Indiglo Alarm and a Lorus Mickey Mouse. I aspire to own more watches. My next target is a Christopher Ward C8 Automatic. It is much easier not to buy a watch on impulse, so Becky likes this new collection since I am not filling the basement with "collectibles" (junk). I like the thought of having a small piece of non-electronic machinery on my person that keeps time. I enjoy the thought of the craftsmanship necessary to create such a piece of machinery.. And even though I can't keep a database on it, nor play games, nor text people nor play mp3s, I love my watches. They say something about me.
I realize that cellphones are very useful. But I will resist owning one for as long as possible. Becky and the girls each have one, so I can borrow theirs if I really need one. You can reach me at home or at work on the phone, and I will pick up, unless I'm not home. Then you can leave a message. Archaic, I know, but it's me.
Now to the blog. I really like posting stuff on my blog periodically. And I love reading your blogs. But don't be surprised if you get an actual snail-mail letter from me sometime in the near future. My writing is execrable, of course, but after reading "John Adams" by David McCullough, I was struck by the fact that letters were the ONLY way to keep in touch with others outside your town. I was digging around in some of my junk downstairs, and found a bunch of letters that Becky wrote me while I was in Basic Training in 1987. Email doesn't have that kind of longevity. And I prefer perfume and stamps to smileys, when all is said and done.
Please don't feel that I'm being judgmental about the tech habits of others. One does what one feels one must. This stuff just isn't for me. But I will keep blogging. I just hope you can read my writing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree - I love my watch too, and I prefer it to my cell phone any time! I just got a cell phone a few months ago for emergency purposes only. I don't really even know how to check messages on it. But I prefer it that way.
Completely agree. There are some things a cell phone just doesn't do well.
Post a Comment